This pie is from the other side of my family - the Southern side.
In both name and location - my sweet Southern aunties have tasty many goodies!! My auntie Valerie (Southern) Fulkerson shared this recipe with my mom Judy back in 1995. It has since become a favorite of my brother Jeffrey, my mom and myself as well as my cousin Amy and, well, anyone who tries this pie! The pie is very tasty and sinful. It is good "naked" or with a meringue on top. Whipped cream or ice cream will do in a pinch. :) Enjoy!
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons corn starch
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- 2 cups milk
- 3 egg yolks – beaten
- 1/2 cup (8 tablespoons) butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Pastry shell, baked (regular or graham crust)
- Mix flour, sugar, cornstarch and cocoa in a medium saucepan.
- Gradually stir in milk. Cook over moderate heat until mixture thickens and boils. Boil 1 minute.
- Stir half of hot mixture into beaten yolks. Add the yolk mixture back to the boiling mixture.
- Stirring constantly add butter and vanilla.
- Boil and stir constantly until very thick. Remove from heat.
- Pour into pre-baked crust